Jim wrote:
>....some untracked powder along the margins (I cannot understand why people
>prefer the middle of the trail).

Apparently a lot of folks are "afraid of running into a tree" - something
I've overheard more than once.

Reminds me of the people who hate driving up Little Cottonwood Canyon
because the road doesn't have a guardrail. Are they suggesting that the
absence will cause them to drive off the road? Are they saying they
regularly drive into guardrails? Do they use guardrails as a semi-automatic
steering device?

-Marc