Jeremy Malczyk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Monandock is such a wind-scoured ledgy boulderpile what may look decent
from
> > the is usually pretty brushy/rocky/nasty, even in good snow years.
There
> > are so many other & better places to go locally (like the Wapack range,
Mt.
> > Grace, etc) it's hardly been worth it. I can get to Cardigan as quickly
as
> > Monadnock, and it's a relative gem for skiable routes & bushwhacks.
> >

> Did you see it last year though? Those nor'easters piled up a ton of snow
> on that part that faces Keene. That side is mostly smooth slabs, not the
> bouldery ledge you get on the white cross and white dot. If we get a 3'
> noreaster I'd be willing to try it.

I've never seen it really fat like that the W/SW side with all of those
granite slabs usually gets sun-baked and wind scoured pretty fast, but I can
believe the day after a 3-footer would be pretty fun indeed!

>They had like three storms last year
> that dumped 30-40" on Monadnock -- even with big boulders that would be
> skiable.

Possibly the first such snowfalls there in over a decade.

>Unfortunately, every time I had a chance to ski it
> there was pretty horrible rain crust in that area.

Which has been my limited experience w/Monadnock- if the rocks don't kill
ya, the crust will! :-)

> Maybe now that I can
> jet over on a moments notice I can catch it on the odd day it's skiable.

Take pictures- it's a relatively rare event!  If I lived a lot closer I'd
have probably skied it by now.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop