Thats interesting about the Castlerock chair. I thought that Poma had
pledged to fix it within 3 weeks because it was their engineering mistake
that caused the problem. Running it slow all season is not a fix.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Paul Rozelle
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 7:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SKIVT-L] Sugarbush, 1/12/02 -- a.k.a., Castlerock chair is now
running

With Susan obligated to work on Saturday, I decided to spend the day hiking
into Castlerock and skiing amazing terrain with fresh snow.  Arrived at
8:15AM after an early start from Boston.  Made immediately for the Heaven's
Gate chair and Paradise.  There appeared to be 2-4" new with some
significant drifting up high; lower down the snow was quite heavy and had a
bit of a crust on it.  Had second tracks on Paradise (right behind the
patroller who opened it) and took three more runs off the HG chair, still
not crossing any tracks.  The upper lift line was opened, and although it
looked like a rock farm, there was excellent, fairly deep snow to be had
there.

At about 10:00 I started crossing tracks and so figured I'd make my first
foray into Castlerock.  Skiing down Paradise, I noticed a "Closed" sign on
the Long Trail entrance -- that sign wasn't there earlier!  Panic!  I
headed down to find out what was going on.  Disaster!  The Castlerock chair
was actually *running*, and had been all morning, unbeknownst to me.  (I
hadn't bothered to look at a trail report; my plan for the day was firm
and, I thought, unchangeable.)  Proceeded immediate to Castlerock to pay
homage and make amends.  Though mostly tracked out, there were still plenty
of goods to be had.  And since it had been little skied all season, the
absence of moguls, especially on Middle Earth, made for some very
enjoyable, and different than usual, runs.  During lunch-time conversation
at the patrol hut, I learned that the problem with the lift is that the
first tower is placed too far from the loading station, resulting in an
unacceptable amount of bounce in the chair.  They could compensate, though,
by running the chair at a reduced speed (which is just fine by me).  The
plan is to get by for the rest of the season and to fix the problem (either
adding another tower or moving the first one) at season's end.  During my
four runs there, the lift stopped twice; once stop lasted about 10 minutes
and required some folks on snowmobiles to arrive and fiddle with some stuff
in the mechanical room.  Otherwise, no problems and no noticeable "bounce."

Finished the day on Lynx peak, and then headed back to Boston in time to
make a friend's 8PM housewarming party.  This weekend we head to Jay.

Paul