Thank you, Vicki.  That should be required reading for the whole world.
Patty

>>> Vicki Sipe <[log in to unmask]> 1/18/02 2:19:39 PM >>>
Dear Colleagues
In memory and in marking the upcoming Martin Luther King Day, I thought to
share an excerpt from one of his sermons. The sermon is entitled Loving
Your Enemies. I'm not sure of the date of the sermon, but it was written
before 1963 while he sat in a Georgia jail. The excerpt is taken from about
the middle of the sermon.
Vicki
Why should we love our enemies? The first reason is fairly obvious.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night
already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can
do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiples
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a
descending spiral of destruction. So when Jesus says "Love your enemies,"
he is setting forth a profound and ultimately inescapable admonition. Have
we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our
enemies---or else? The chain reaction of evil---hate begatting hate, wars
producing more wars---must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark
abyss of annihilation.
-----Martin Luther King, Jr.