Jason, try David Goodman's book "Backcountry Skiing Adventures: Classic Ski
and Snowboard Tours in Vermont and New York".  I have been reading it more
for general information and education than anything, as I am not currently a
backcountry skier (although every year I swear to try tele, etc, it never
happens).  From my standpoint, which is extremely limited given my
experience level - nil, its very informative and substantial.  I compare it
to the information which I read on this list, and the two soruces are
consistent.  What I find very interesting in Goodman's book is the
historical information regarding the tours he narrates.  Good luck, and
methinks you'll have to fend off those crotchety AT skiers with more than a
swiss army knife!
JP