On Tuesday, January 29, 2002 9:27 AM, Jason Ross wrote:
> The subject line should make it pretty obvious what I'm about to
> ask. Anybody have any good ideas for how a snowboarder looking to
earn
> some turns should get uphill?

        Issue #29, 2001 of Backcountry Magazine has an article on this
topic.  That mag and Couloir also have many articles and info
regarding exploring the mountains including camping, etc.

> However I finally choose to do this, I honestly do want to follow
> the rules and have as minimal an impact on my way uphill as
possible.

        Old Adirondack lore has it that a pair of hikers postholed up the
Avalanche Pass _ski_ trail and Ranger Fish made them go back and
repair ALL of the holes.

> burning the snowboard to attone for my sins and switching to
> telemark / AT - NOT AN OPTION  :)

        Jason, in all honesty you may want to open your eyes a little
more.  Hey, I have nothing against snowboarders.  In fact, any
sport that considers Bachelor, Hood and Baker to be their Temples
can't possibly be bad.  But, last week we had a guy on a split
board and he was having a difficult time touring as he was severely
restricted when it came to any traversing to the point where he
announced at the end of the trip that he was going to sell his
board and get AT gear.  Ruedi brought out a board one day and did
not have a problem, but he is a master of glisse mountaineering.
 In fact, he is the only person to have ever skied off of the
summit of Canada's Mount Logan (yup, that's the 19k+ footer one).
        Get a hold of me next November/December with the capabilities to
climb and when the snow is deep enough to glisse yet shallow enough
to keep the lifts from turning and I'll show you around MRG from
top to bottom - yes you can board it then.  In fact, Steve Renaud
an instructor snowboards there during preseason.  You'll learn to
enjoy the climb, it will be so quiet that you can hear the snowguns
of Sugarbush vomiting sludge in the distance and you'll probably
see more animal tracks than human bean' tracks.

Mark