Tag Gross <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>This was a scary story. I don't understand being so reckless and having
children.

It may have been reckless in retrospect, but it is actually not that
intimidating looking, and not huge vertical where that happened, but I've
heard second and third hand stories of near-deaths (one woman now
quadripligic) due to slides in that exact location.  It's a relatively small
spot, but a bit of a terrain trap that often cornices & slabs when the wind
is just wrong (about 60-70% of the time during winter storms there.)  It
wasn't complete recklessness, but more a momentary mental lapse, partly due
to familiarity, partly due to focusing on the goal near-at-hand (to get the
f- out of the wind and back into the car.)  It's a sobering thought, but
people much more avi-savvy experienced and aware have been caught in that
stupid gulch. They were at least smart enough to turn around rather than
keep heading higher in that weather (many have pressed on, only to be found
by the ravens in the late spring.) They just weren't keeping track of the
slope angles very well and the potential terrain traps presented.

When skiing by it last summer one of the locals & I were trading stories of
who we had known to have been tripped up there in near-misses- 'twas he who
told me about the quadriplegic, who was there instructing an avi-course when
the cornice she was cutting to bomb the slope collapsed.

It doesn't have to be a train-wrecker to kill you, and vigilance is
required, even in small localized exposures.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop