Dear colleagues,

My name is Vangie Orozco. I am with the recently formed National
Center for Family and Community Connections with Schools, funded by
the USDE Office of Educational Research and Improvement, and based at
the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory. I am new to the
listserv and would like to take this opportunity to let you know
about two new products that we are very excited about. Please see the
official announcement below.

Although the primary audience for our work is practitioners in
schools and other organizations that are working to build connections
and partnerships between schools, families and communities, we feel
this first synthesis will be of interest to researchers and
policymakers as well. We have been able to include  and draw much of
the research conducted by many of you, and we are very interested in
continuing to do so in the future. This is only the first of a series
of five research synthesis that we will be publishing in the next few
years. Our charge is to synthesize from current and ongoing research
so we have drawn from non-published sources as well as journal
articles and books. The online database of annotations will be
regularly updated as new research findings are released.  Please feel
free to contact me about any of your studies or other material you
would like us to consider in our work.

Thank you,
Vangie Orozco

The National Center for Family & Community Connections with Schools
at the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL) is pleased
to announce the release of Emerging Issues in School, Family, &
Community Connections.  This research synthesis, the first in a
series of five research reports, identifies key issues related to
school, family, community connections that must be addressed in order
for practitioners to make connections with positive results.  The
report is based on a review of over 160 publications in the field of
school, family, community connections, including research, practice,
and theory.  The report identifies both promising new areas of
research and unanswered questions about the process and results of
these connections.  This report can be downloaded as a full text PDF
at http://www.sedl.org/connections/resources.  You may also call SEDL
at 1-800-476-6861 to request a print copy of this document (Contact:
Artie Stockton).

The Center is also pleased to announce the creation of "The
Connection Collection:  School-Family-Community Publications
Database".  This searchable database contains annotations of the
publications reviewed for the 2001 synthesis.  Over 140 of the latest
research articles, program and practice evaluations, and theoretical
publications have been annotated and included in this collection, and
more are being added on a regular basis.  Users may search the
database by author, title, and keyword to find the latest information
about school, family, community connections, and can use advanced
features to further refine their search.  The database may be
accessed at http://www.sedl.org/connections/resources.

--
Evangelina M. Orozco
National Center for Family and Community Connections with Schools
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL)
211 East Seventh St., Austin, TX 78701
phone (512) 476-6861 x 208
fax (512) 476-2286
http://www.sedl.org/connections