Dear colleagues,

My name is Vangie Orozco. I am with the recently formed National Center for Family and Community Connections with Schools, funded by the USDE Office of Educational Research and Improvement, and based at the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory. I am new to the listserv and would like to take this opportunity to let you know about two new products that we are very excited about. Please see the official announcement below.

Although the primary audience for our work is practitioners in schools and other organizations that are working to build connections and partnerships between schools, families and communities, we feel this first synthesis will be of interest to researchers and policymakers as well. We have been able to include  and draw much of the research conducted by many of you, and we are very interested in continuing to do so in the future. This is only the first of a series of five research synthesis that we will be publishing in the next few years. Our charge is to synthesize from current and ongoing research so we have drawn from non-published sources as well as journal articles and books. The online database of annotations will be regularly updated as new research findings are released.  Please feel free to contact me about any of your studies or other material you would like us to consider in our work.

Thank you,
Vangie Orozco

The National Center for Family & Community Connections with Schools at the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL) is pleased to announce the release of Emerging Issues in School, Family, & Community Connections.  This research synthesis, the first in a series of five research reports, identifies key issues related to school, family, community connections that must be addressed in order for practitioners to make connections with positive results.  The report is based on a review of over 160 publications in the field of school, family, community connections, including research, practice, and theory.  The report identifies both promising new areas of research and unanswered questions about the process and results of these connections.  This report can be downloaded as a full text PDF at http://www.sedl.org/connections/resources.  You may also call SEDL at 1-800-476-6861 to request a print copy of this document (Contact: Artie Stockton).

The Center is also pleased to announce the creation of "The Connection Collection:  School-Family-Community Publications Database".  This searchable database contains annotations of the publications reviewed for the 2001 synthesis.  Over 140 of the latest research articles, program and practice evaluations, and theoretical publications have been annotated and included in this collection, and more are being added on a regular basis.  Users may search the database by author, title, and keyword to find the latest information about school, family, community connections, and can use advanced features to further refine their search.  The database may be accessed at http://www.sedl.org/connections/resources.

--
Evangelina M. Orozco
National Center for Family and Community Connections with Schools
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory (SEDL)
211 East Seventh St., Austin, TX 78701
phone (512) 476-6861 x 208
fax (512) 476-2286
http://www.sedl.org/connections