--- "Gregory A. Terry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> ...  I think a better
> idea is to invest or even lease thin client software
> (like Citrix) rather than upgrading work stations
> and servers, it costs far less money and will make
> your older desktops run like new pentium III's.

Think carefully before you go the Citrix route! We've
been using Citrix, at the elementary level, for nearly
four years. There is virtually no technical support
for educational software titles.  In fact, it is rare
to find a technician from an educational software
company who has even heard of Citrix. And, the
majority of software titles for elementary school have
a lot of multimedia which doesn't work with Citrix.

Money wise:  Take into consideration the cost of the
software (Windows NT licensing, plus the $1000 for
every five licenses for Citrix), and the high powered
servers to run it, which can deplete a meager budget
quickly.  Maintenance issues on our old PCs consumes a
great deal of my time.  There is also the problem of
finding someone else in education with whom to
exchange information -- I've tried for four years and
haven't found anyone yet. Support from Citrix isn't
cheap.

That said, I do think it would be a good solution for
high school and, possibly middle school, where the
majority of software used is from MS and where it is
being looked at as a solution to problems unrelated to
cost. There is a great deal of control from the
console/server, it's a simple one step install for
software that is compatible, and it is easy to
maintain once it is configured correctly.  You don't
have to worry about ghosting machines that have been
hacked by students, or recreating desktops -- all you
really need installed on the "thin client" is an OS
and a Citrix client.

I'd be happy to talk with anyone who has experience
with Citrix (Gregory?) and, would also be happy to
share my experience using it at the elementary level.

Joanne Finnegan, Technology Coordinator
Richmond Elementary School