Tom,

My recommendation would be the Celestron Nobles that Christopher's
(birdbino.com) on sale for $269(limited quaintities). They are available in
10x42, 8x42, 8x32, and 10x50. They are all phase-corrected, roof prism,
waterproof binocs that are very lightweight. I have 2 pairs and I think
they are the best VALUE out there. You could also get the Eagle Optics
Platinum Class, which I think are made by Celestron for E.O., but they are
nearly $100 more. The Pentax 8x42DCF-WP are very light and excellent optics
also, (which I also have a pair), but I prefer the Celestron/E.O. both for
optics and weight. Features are nearly identical.

Dana