Hi all,

  I was recently perusing "the books" and noticed that Peterson assigns
both the american and water pipit to anthus spinoletta and his maps
indicate that the bird is unlikely to be observed in New England.
Sibley's does not have a water pipit and assigns the american pipit to
Anthus rubescens.  Sibley's american pipit is found in New England.
Anyone ornithologists or latin-lovers out there able to comment on this?
I'm interested in knowing if this is an error in Petersons or if the pipit
we observe has (a) migrated northwards over the last 20 years and (b) has
been reclassified.

BoB