Very interesting article about snowy owls today.  The site is free but
requires registration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/01/arts/01OUTS.html

If you read the actual paper, the article appears to be in the Arts section
(due to a tie-in with the Harry Potter movie.  For those of you who haven't
read the books or seen the film, Harry's companion, Hedwig, is a snowy owl).
The title of the article is "On the Prowl for a Statuesque Owl That's a
Friend to Wizards" -- author is James Gorman.

I am depressed to say that this winter, I failed to see either the Harry
Potter movie OR any of the snowies residing in the area (the latter not for
lack of trying -- I think I hit Sandbar on the one day all winter that the
owl was not in attendance).  I do, however, have the solace of having read
all of the HP books thus far.

--Miriam Lawrence, Monkton Ridge