    Fort Cassin is at the mouth of Otter Creek. If you turn west off Route 7
in Ferrisburgh on Little Chicago Road - (just north of Mailloux's Greenhouse
and about 2-3 miles north of Vergennes 22-A exit off Route 7) - continue
west past Hawkins Road on right, Walker Road on the left. When Little
Chicago Road ends at Sand Road, go right and shortly after, you will see the
sign on the left for Fort Cassin. If you were to continue straight ahead on
Sand Road, you would come to Kingsland Bay. The access road follows next to
Otter Creek and dead ends at the no longer extant Fort Cassin (Northwest
Passage fame). There are two signs that request that you turn around before
you get to the summer homes. I turn around at the second where the road
splits near the point. Property beyond that point is private. The bay across
Otter Creek to the south is called Fieldıs Bay in the DeLorme Vermont Atlas,
but I have always known it as Kellogg Bay. Porter Bay is to the right
(north) as you drive out. It is a little tricky to see through the trees to
Kellogg Bay, but there is ice (as of Saturday, 3/2) still on it, and the
eagles often congregate on the ice.

Wayne Scott
Compiler, VT Rare Bird Alert

416 Hanover Center Road