Directions to Fort Cassin
    Fort Cassin is at the mouth of Otter Creek. If you turn west off Route 7 in Ferrisburgh on Little Chicago Road - (just north of Mailloux's Greenhouse and about 2-3 miles north of Vergennes 22-A exit off Route 7) - continue west past Hawkins Road on right, Walker Road on the left. When Little Chicago Road ends at Sand Road, go right and shortly after, you will see the sign on the left for Fort Cassin. If you were to continue straight ahead on Sand Road, you would come to Kingsland Bay. The access road follows next to Otter Creek and dead ends at the no longer extant Fort Cassin (Northwest Passage fame). There are two signs that request that you turn around before you get to the summer homes. I turn around at the second where the road splits near the point. Property beyond that point is private. The bay across Otter Creek to the south is called Field’s Bay in the DeLorme Vermont Atlas, but I have always known it as Kellogg Bay. Porter Bay is to the right (north) as you drive out. It is a little tricky to see through the trees to Kellogg Bay, but there is ice (as of Saturday, 3/2) still on it, and the eagles often congregate on the ice.

Wayne Scott
Compiler, VT Rare Bird Alert

416 Hanover Center Road
Etna, NH 03750