Scott-
We generally went with NABA common names. Note that M. gryneus was once  a separate species. However, siva and gryneus have been found  to hybridize in w. Texas and New Mexico. Most now consider siva to be a subspecies of gryneus. Both NABA and the USGS site give gryneus the common name of Juniper Hairstreak. I guess that makes sense since all the host plants are from the genus Juniperus. But, it is confusing. Perhaps they should have adopted Juniper Hairstreak for the siva subspecies and leave Olive Hairstreak for gryneus.

Kent

At 10:45 AM 5/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings Dave:
>
>I finally made it to your photo, looks like Mitoura gryneus.  After checking
>the VBA forms I see that it is listed as Callophrys gryneus, (Juniper
>Hairstreak).  I don't agree with the common name, Juniper Hairstreak is
>Mitoura siva.  Need to check with Kent, maybe just a typo.  Great photo,
>specimen is in great shape.
>
>Scott

Kent P. McFarland
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS)
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT  05091
phone   802-457-2779   x124 voice mail
fax             802-457-1053