I have a consumer requesting a definition, etc. for the word "encephalization".  The patron has a 7 m/o granddaughter born at term, who started having seizures the first day.  There is a question of cerebral palsy also.  Apparently the baby was born with meconium in the nose and mouth.  A neurologist told the family the baby had encephalization.

I can find some discussion about brain development (in various species), but I cannot find anything that could be considered a clinical diagnosis.  I've tried Medline, Psycinfo, Academic Source Premier, Internet with Google, as well as some consumer health databases.  My next step will be to check some pediatric neurology and developmental books.  I would certainly appreciate any suggestions any of you would have.  Thank you very much!

Linda King, MLS, AHIP
Reference Coordinator, Lewis Library
Instructor, Medical Education
UNT Health Science Center