Skip King wrote:
> You do NOT see the same concentration of catastrophics
> in other active sports, such as watersports and bicycling
> (both of which, if I recall correctly, have higher per-million-
> participant fatality rates), because these sports tend to
> have active participation of the course of a much longer
> time period.

You must be talking about the perception of risk and
not the actual risk itself then, no?

Actual risk might be best measured in terms of injuries
per million participant days (or what ever).   It would
seem that the length of the season would have no obvious
affect on this rate, unless you want to argue that wild
eyed and skiing deprived desk jockeys (like me) take
absurdly stupid risks because we know we only 14 weeks
a year to get our thrills and would take fewer risks if
we had all year to spread our skiing over.

Now, your arguement makes good sense if applied to
the general public's perception of risk.  It might be
better stated that ski injuries jump from zero to some
non-zero (but still low) level during ski season, which
explains the perception of risk.