From: Lynn Gallagher McGinn [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 9:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Woodpecker at Hummingbird Feeder

I have just started using a new hummingbird feeder here in West Addison.
It is larger than the one I was using and it has perches.  I have been
disappointed because I have not seen any hummingbirds at the new feeder
even though there were many that regularly came to the smaller feeder I
was using.  This morning there was a downy woodpecker sitting on one of
the perches drinking the solution out of one of the flowers.  At first I
thought it may have been eating the ants that were on the feeder but I
had just cleaned all the ants off the feeder.  The feeder is hung on a
window hook so I could get a close look at what it was doing.  It was
definitely drinking the solution.  Has any one else seen this behavior?
I have never seen this before.