WOW - excellent descriptions and ID tips!! I didn't pick up on the lack of
a smile on the bird in question - shows you what I know.

Another thing I don't know, and would be interested in finding out, is if
C. Loons and Y-b Loons can interbreed. Sibley states they split from a
common ancestor in the New World. Seems to me the possibility of a Y-b Loon
stranded in the east breeding with a C. Loon wouldn't be beyond
possibility. Two Y-b's have been recorded in upstate NY in the last 5-6
years. Does anyone know if such intergrades have been recorded? Could this
be the VT oddball? Just curious.

Thanks again for the excellent ID tips from all.

Dana C. Rohleder
Port Kent, NY