Wow, Jan, that really is a strange occurance.  Poor little thing.  I hope
some other birders have some insight on it.  We've had lots of goldfinches
back at the feeders in the last few weeks and now the house finches have
returned as well.  There is much activity there with all the usual
suspects, one or two chipmunks and a grey squirrel, all of whom are
generally polite enough to wait their turn at the trough, so to speak.
We've also been seeing a very small rabbit, who hops through the turkey
wire fence and feasts on the edge of a patch of long grass into which he
can scamper for safety, should the need arise.  I was looking at him/her
this morning with the binos and saw a tiny white blaze on his/her forhead.
 So very cute!  Hope you're staying warm, dry and cozy today.  Makes me
want to cuddle up under a blanket and read a good book!

Holly