All,

Part of our responsibility when in social situations is to not harm others. If you have smallpox, you shouldn't be out socializing because of the contagion of the virus. The responsible person vaccinates themselves, both to avoid getting the bug, and to curb its virulence.

The same is true for newsgroups. There is an extremely contagious virus out there now called the W32.Klez.H@mm virus. It is a worm type of virus. The virus, and others of its ilk, are spread via email address books in your computer. When you are hit with the virus, it adds a few hidden files to your computer that go through your list of addresses and sends everyone on the list the virus, which is how it spreads. While not particularly malicious & destructive, it is still a pain in the ass. My computer became infected and crashed a few months ago just because I had gone several weeks without updating my antivirus info. Since then, I continue to be hit (but my software catches it now!) with the virus from others that have not taken the steps to keep their computer clean - probably about 20 times now.

Do yourself and all of us online a favor and get a good antivirus program, keep it updated, and run it in the background. Otherwise, take my name out of your address books ; )

Thanks,

Dana C. Rohleder, O.D.
Port Kent, NY