On Saturday 7/6 at Mt. Philo, Charlotte, Ted Murin, myself,
and daughter Mae-Mae observed a pair (singing male + female) of Mourning
Warblers.  The female appeared to be carrying food, suggesting an active
nest.  We located the MOWAs from the road leading down from the summit,
just past a sharp 90 degree left turn in the road, and about 200 yards
before the campground entrance.  The MOWAs were downhill from the road
(right side as you're going down).  I don't know if this singing male MOWA
is different from the one that many have heard neaer the summit for the
past few weeks, but I would guess so.

Also active in this area of Mt. Philo on 7/6 were

Black-throated Blue Warbler (singing male)
American Redstart
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Red-eyed Vireo
Veery
Hermit Thrush
Wood Thrush
Scarlet Tanger
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Eastern Towhee
and many others.

A Northern Mockingbird at the summit was unusual.

Mt. Philo butterflies on 7/6 included:

Tiger Swallowtail sp.
Cabbage White
Summer Azure
Crescent sp.
White Admiral
Little Wood-Satyr
Least Skipper
European Skipper

2 fritillaries seen poorly off the lower road may have been Great
Spangled Fr's.

Scott

Scott W. Morrical, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biochemistry
Department of Biochemistry
University of Vermont College of Medicine
Burlington, VT  05405  U.S.A.
Telephone:  802-656-8260
E-mail:  <[log in to unmask]>