Greetings, VT-LepHeads:

I just completed a three-day swing (with lots of swinging) through Addison,
Rutland and Windsor Counties for leps and odes. What a treat. All the
insects are still buzzing around my brain, but here are only a few highlights:

Bronze Coppers (Lycaena hyllus) and Least Skippers (Ancyloxypha numitor) at
the Stone Bridge Access to Dead Creek in Panton.

Little Glassywing (Pompeius verna) at Mt. Independence. Both dark and
yellow-patch forms (and some that appeared in between ) of Common Wood
Nymph (Cercyonis pegala) were flying at Mt. Independence. Incidentally, I
think Mt. Independence State Historic Site has huge potential for
butterflies. The place seem ripe for Juniper Hairstreak (Callophrys gryneus).

Broad-winged Skipper (Poanes viator) at a small, roadside marsh in
Hubbardton (There was no phragmites to be found) and Mulberry Wing (Poanes
massasoit) at the north end of Glen Lake in Hubbardton.

Mike Blust and I bumped into some really nice dragonflies in Rutland
County, including the most butterfly-like of our ode fauna (with links for
some nice images):

Calico Pennant (Celethemis elisa) --
http://informatics.bio.umass.edu/research/odenews/bnikula/ceel.jpg

Halloween Pennant (Celethemis eponina) --
http://informatics.bio.umass.edu/research/odenews/bnikula/ceep.jpg

Eastern Amberwing (Perethemis tenera) --
http://informatics.bio.umass.edu/research/odenews/bnikula/pete.jpg

Happy Swinging,
Bryan Pfeiffer

Vermont Bird Tours