An interesting escalation this morning in the hummer animosity beyond the
glass:  Taking it a step beyond the pursuing, bumping and feather brushing,
I looked up to see two rubies locked and dangling about eight feet away.
For an instant I thought they were foot-locked (a la raptor) - improbable I
know - and then they descended to the ground together.  As they remained on
the grass for several seconds I clearly saw how the ruby on its back
clasped the feet of the still-whirring bird above it in its bill.  After a
brief time the lower bird released its grip and returned to the feeder
while the vanquished proceeded directly away out of my line of sight.
!!!!!!!

Kim Likakis
Bennington