        Monday was indeed a great day at Brilyea.  It seems like everyone
who writes into VTBIRD was there at one time or another.  Mona and I saw
both phalaropes and the Baird's sandpiper (3 life birds), and a couple of
short-billed dowitchers and a semipalmated plover (two Vermont firsts).  In
addition there was a family of five black-crowned night herons on the dead
tree on the west side of the creek about 300 yards south of the dam.  Plus
lots and lots of other sandpipers, GBH's, and killdeer.
        We also noticed what looks like an osprey nest in the dead tree
about 300 - 400 yards north of Rt. 17, on the east side of the creek.  This
is the tree that's visible from the fishing access at the Rt. 17 bridge.
Over the years we have seen red-tails, ospreys and bald eagles in this same
tree, but this is the first time we have noticed a nest in it.  Has anyone
noticed any osprey activity here lately?
        A great day indeed.

                Larry