Monday morning waiting for the first ferry of the day, I noticed
feathers floating down from above and got out of the car to inspect.
Sitting on the post, directly above the ticket agent for the King St
Ferry Dock in Burlington, was a MERLIN that looked much like an
individual I saw sitting atop a traffic light recently near the Sheridan
across from Staples plaza. It was picking the feathers off a small bird
that looked like it could be anything from a sparrow or starling to a
small waterfowl. It sat on the pole there for a good twenty minutes not
minding the cars and passerbys at all, I myself stood under it for a
great bit of time watching it closely with my binocs. There's nothing
like watching the morning sunlight illuminate a merlin in full frame!!
The rest of the day fishing in Port Kent paled in comparison to that
time sharing the merlins morning meal with it. Once it had waxed its
beak it flew over to the power lines near the waste water treatment
plant and waited for its next victim while I took a nice boat ride
across the still morning.

Happy Birding!

Silas Miller
So. Burlington.