seed got the driver a day in court.

From: Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]>

Hiked a mtn. in the Shenandoah National Park yesterday, Mary's Rock.  Not
a big hike, only about 1200 vert. but a beautiful 360 degree view, the
only one in the park.  It was mist and light rain as I started and it
lifted with me as I climbed, revealing the full splendor at the top.  I
have probably done this hike 50 times and for years (perhaps never)
bothered to read the big sign at the trail head.  These are well done and
meant to give a map of the route and a trail advisory.  They call this one
moderately difficult.  Then at the bottom of the sign, something I never
read before.  The mountain was named for Mary Thornton, a young girl who
climbed the mountain alone in colonial days and returned with a bear cub
under each arm.  That's all it says!!!  Nothing about the mother bear but
it would be almost a certainty that she was dead and the cubs recently
orphaned.  That, or it's a mountaineer's tale told to wide eyed
flatlanders.

Sometime before Oct. is out I hope to be skinning, not hiking.