Personally, I'd pick Reno over Lost Wages but 5 hours of driving at 80 mph
from Las Vegas will put you at Mammoth and you won't be fighting all the
Californians in the traffic jam.  6 hours at that speed will also put you
in Salt Lake City.  I can think of far worse skiing destinations.  You're
also in the land of dirt-cheap airfare so you'll likely find it's easier
and cheaper to fly to ski with the SkiVt-L Utah chapter at AltaBird.

The only information I have about skiing around Las Vegas came from some
guy sitting next to me on an airplane (I was doing some sort of bizarre
Reno/Vegas/SLC connection) who asserted that the local skiing was quite
good.

Geoff