Chris Henry wrote:
> As for whether this leads to an improvement of split board technology,
> we can only hope.  Your recent postings about your splitboards have
> gotten me wondering if I wouldn't be better served by a separate pair of
> ascent skis instead.   It seems like such a waste, to carry both skis
> and a snowboard (no comments, please, agreeing with me and suggesting I
> ditch the snowboard), but if a split board only functions well in
> certain conditions (powder, softpack), then most likely want another
> board anyway.  It would also be cheaper, I think.

My vote on that matter has not been decided yet.  I've only had my split
out 3 or 4 times, in what would probably be the least favorable
conditions for it that one would still consider using it, and that is
not a fair basis for judgement.  Yep, ascent skis will provide about
equals uphill ability as a splitboard (I've heard tales that a
splitboard is faster than tele skis going uphill) and better dowhill
performace at the cost of having to carry extra gear on your back both
when ascending and descending.

> This is actually good news, I think.  I read somewhere recently that
> Burton and Voile were teaming up on splitboard R&D, which is also very
> good.  Other than burton and voile, no one else makes a splitboard, at
> least that i know of, except for companies like prior snowboards, who
> use the voile technology.  I've heard that they were reports of the
> burton boards having problems in the field, so I know there's room for
> improvement there.  I also know that voile hasn't really changed much on
> their system in a couple of years.  Not that I expect a new model or a
> new tweak every year, but even in the last couple of years most
> snowboarding gear (bindings, boards, boots) have seen overall
> improvements.  I'd like to think that splitboard designs could also be
> improved.

The Voile hardware has actually made a small tweak recently (in the last
2 years, I think).  It went from having things mounted in snowboard mode
so that you'r stance angles were fixed - the only way to change them
would be to drill another set of holes and remount, like those less
evolved skiers  :)   The redesign allows you to change your stance just
like a standard board - adjustable widths and angles with no drilling.

> btw, anyone know where I could demo a splitboard, burton, voile,
> otherwise?  Does burton bring theirs to their demo days at the resorts?
> And has anyone seen any at the burton store in burlington?

No idea on demoing.  I seriously doubt Burton brings any with them to on
hill demos - I don't think they bring any of their hardboot/carving
stuff, so I'd seriously doubt they would bring a splitboard.  You can
always try giving them a call to see if you can arrange something, but I
wouldn't count on it.

There's usually at least one split board on the sales floor at the
factory store.  And I'd imagine there are more on to stockroom.  If you
just want to fondle one and see how it works in person (not on snow),
you could stop by the factory store and play with one.  I don't know
which of the factory store employees is split board knowegable (if any)
so I can't point you towards a certain person.

There's a one or two year old unused Burton splitboard for sale at the
B-Side (skate/snowboard shop just off Church Street in Burlington) for
around half price.  Still expensive, but not insanely expensive like
they are at full price.

--
Jason - "redraobwons"