In a message dated 10/17/02 2:23:38 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Is it too much to expect for technology staff to be paid commensurate

with their experience and to reward them for learning how to do their

jobs better?  Teachers receive this (and don't get me wrong, I believe

they absolutely should) - why should technology staff be treated to any

less? >>

Lisa et. al.,

Hugely complicated issue here.  We cannot even pay teachers the same salary
schedules within our own supervisory union. Is not a teacher a teacher a
teacher?  Well, apparently not.

But your point is an argument for a definition of the job, standards for the
job performance, and maybe even the certification.  It's harder to argue that
a techie should be paid on a para scale if professional certification is
required.

Two of our techie staff are in an odd place somewhere between teacher and
administrator in terms of length of contract and pay.  There simply is no
place in our salary structures that really fits them.

A potential and unfortunate result of reform is that some schools might
decide to go without.  Some already do that with nurses, art teachers, etc.
Not an easy issue.

Tommy Walz
Technology Coordinator
Barre Supervisory Union #61