I agree that there is no need to license ³techies.² Districts donıt need
special endorsements for hiring technical support staff and I know the Dept
of Ed has a draft on the table that is trying to define the best of both
worlds, technical/educational. This discussion is certainly helping.

If we are defining IT people exclusively as support personnel with
non-educational jobs then again I agree that licensing is not needed.
However, IT people includes Resource Educators, Curriculum, Instruction, and
Assessment administrators and others that deal with the total business of IT
educational environment. If we follow the thinking that ³techies² only deal
with the infrastructure, equipment, systems, etc. who bridges the gap or
coordinates the IT educational environment, revises technology planning,
supports professional development...? Somewhere there needs to be a blend of
these two worlds and that person needs qualifications that are licensed by
the state.

I think this is an evolving role that traditional administrators can not
absorb. The technology changes in our schools over the last 5 years are
incredible and everyone is feeling overwhelmed. This is an opportunity to
add qualified IT people to deal with the educational aspects who also know
something about the techie stuff. Finding the balance between these two
worlds is whatıs hard. Itıs like blending republicans and democrats, PC and
Mac users, Brits and Irish, . . . now Iıve started something!

Roger Crowley
Technology Coordinator (IT Resource Educator)
Main Street Middle School
Montpelier, VT 05602
http://www.mpsvt.org/msms/msms.htm
802-225-8655