Ruth-
I am terrible with verbal descriptions. Can you take a digital photo and email it to me? Flat-topped Aster immediately makes me think of Harris' Checkerspot. Stripes on it go around the body, not lengthwise.

Kent

At 08:49 PM 10/2/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>A week ago we found a very distinctive caterpillar that we were confident
>could be identified immediately.  Alas we are stumped.  Hope someone out
>there can help.  It was found on flat topped white aster and has been
>consumming such.
>
>It is black with full body length strips starting with red at the feet,
>then yellow, then 3 thin blue strips with a yellow to orange strip down the
>middle of the back.  That middle strip has since turned to gray/violet.  It
>is not hairy.
>
>It is pupating into a green cocoon ? chrysalis?    Any ideas?   Can anyone
>suggest a good caterpillar reference?
>
>Thanks,  Ruth
>
>Stewarts
>E. Dorset, VT
>USA

Kent P. McFarland
Conservation Biology Department
Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS)
27023 Church Hill Road
Woodstock, VT  05091
phone   802-457-2779   x124 voice mail
fax             802-457-1053