-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dave Tisdell
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 9:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: OpenSource Software

Hi all,
I am interested in people's thoughts on this issue. The open source
software movement has grown by leaps and bounds. The best software that
only ran on opensource os's has been or is being ported to Windows and
Mac OS (It all already works in Linux and unix).
The real stars at this point are the GIMP (an image manipulation program
like Photoshop)and OpenOffice (similar to MS Office). Since acquiring
this software is either free or a negligible cost, why continue to pay
big bucks for closed source proprietary apps? We could save a lot of
money in our budgets by adopting opensource software. What does everyone
else think?
Dave

David Tisdell. Computer Coordinator
Mt. Mansfield Union High School