Well, I finally got an answer to one of my questions; i.e. what is a screening carotid duplex exam?

I went to the Veith/Montefiore vascular diagnostic conference and an MD/RVT gave a paper which said to duplex the distal cca and ica only.  Time for exam:  90 seconds!

What happened to identification of the eca?  No mention of it.

Let me just mention that I once worked for that group, and their major complaint about the previous sonographer was that she often confused the eca with the ica in cases of total occlusion of the ica.

I think it is OK to add 10 seconds to identify the eca.

This is one of the top vascular surgery groups in this city.  They employ two techs and I know for sure that one of them (the chief tech!) isn't registered.  I'm not sure about the other one.  Both have been working there for several years.  This is what I mean when I say that accreditation ain't all it's cracked up to be; and the exams aren't the be-all end-all of our field.  They are the minimum requirements for being able to perform our exams, but they don't insure that the possessors of these certifications have common sense or know that much about scanning or even touch an ultrasound machine.

The truly sad thought is knowing that unregistered techs are at more of a premium than ever before.  I saw an ad recently that really only wanted "registry-eligible" techs ONLY.  Low cost is really only one reason.  They would rather have inexperienced, younger people so that they can mold and control them, IMHO.

Does anyone ever hire a medical-degree eligible person as a doctor?  (Maybe they do).

Diana Ross, RT, RDMS

Editor, The WAVE~~~Online Newsletter for Sonographers of All Disciplines

http://thewave.www.50megs.com

Do you Yahoo!?