This is the argument for licensure.  I would not allow an unlicensed MD
or RN to practice on me or mine and I doubt anyone else would either,
however sonography seems exempt from that reasoning.  Sure the shortage
of sonographers has helped working conditions and salaries, but until
employers are prevented from hiring Joe Blow off the street and training
him for 2 weeks to do a lower extremity physiologic exam (read ABI) and
call him a vascular technician we will never get the professional
respect our profession deserves.

Accreditation is helping but it is still voluntary.  Medicare
reimbursement issues still do not significantly impact the majority of
hospitals because of DRGs, primarily only Part B providers are
feeling that weight at this time.

We can raise the bar all we want within our profession but until it is
required by law no one but our profession recognizes it.  A good example
of that is the UP credential, you can get a masters or even a doctorate
in ultrasound if you want to but until it is recognized by law and the
medical community you are still a sonographer (if you can pass the
exams).

Terry J Zwakenberg BS RVT RCS