I have a friend in Ohio who has done wildlife rehabilitation for 22 years.
I am quoting from a recent appeal:
"I have never encountered such shock and trauma: In the past month , here
in Ohio, over 400 Hawks and Owls fell from the sky...and either lay dead or
dying.  The symptoms were without diagnosis--tremors, Lack of motors
skills, inability to stand, grasp, fly or focus.  and , at first , all I
could do was to scoop them up and take them home to die in peace.   Later ,
instead of ceremonial burial, I would wrap them for the freezer for gov't
cell samples.  The freezer was filling, the hawk cages were filled with
patients and calls kept coming.   It is not totally 'West Nile Virus'
although that seems to be a factor.  400 in one month-but what of the
probable thousands  laying undiscovered in the woods?'
She was having success treating the raptors with her anti plague herbal
formula .