I have been entertaining (or vice versa) 5-6 fox sparrows at my feeder for
the last 5 days along with all the 'regulars'.  Never have seen so many at
once.  They are quite late compared to any records I have on former
years.  Ruth

This note from Mike Winslow may be of interest to all:

Ruth,
I'm catching up on a back log of emails so I just saw your posting to
VTBird. I too have heard off of the ducks, geese, and also loons on the
Great Lakes due to botulism. The prevailing hypothesis is that one of
the exotic species that entered the Lakes in ballast water is the
cause. I can't remember off hand if it's the round goby (a fish) or the
Quagga mussel, I think it's the goby. In any case both species have
spread beyond the Great Lakes, into the New York State Canal system, and
may get into Lake Champlain. Don't know whether they're bringing the
botulism with them.
Mike
--
Michael, Kira and Cedar WinslowWeybridge, VT

Stewarts
E. Dorset, VT
USA