From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ernie
Buford
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Loon migration, raptors, UVM NOMO

I have a few interesting reports from the Champlain
Valley....

Lake watchers recorded 275 Common Loons heading south
at Charlotte on Sunday morning (count courtesy of
Ted Murin, who thought this was the second highest
total recorded for Lake Champlain).

Elsewhere, the Snow Goose flock still numbers several
thousand (4000?, more?) at the Dead Creek viewing area
along Rt. 125.  Seven Northern Harriers (3 adult; 4 juv.),
light- and dark-morph Rough-legged Hawks, 3 Short-eared
Owls, 4 American Pipits, and numerous Horned Larks were
also seen at the viewing area on Sunday (owls, harriers,
and pipits reported by Melanie Driscoll, who stopped there
in the evening).

And finally, a Northern Mockingbird was seen this morning
(11/26) at University Heights on the UVM campus.

 Ernest W. Buford
 School of Natural Resources
 University of Vermont
 Burlington, VT  05405