From: "Jeanmarie Cross" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: possible Swainson's Hawk in Shelburne

> Hi,
>
> I took a natural history class this summer at ccv, and did my lake report
at Shelburne Pond, I saw a bird there that I thought had to be a Swainson's
Hawk, until I looked at the range of those birds.  The white under the wings
did not match any other bird in the book as well as it did the Swainson.  I
have included the paragragh from my paper that describes the bird.  I ended
up saying it could have been a Golden Eagle, which I was told by my teacher
that it could not be as they have not been seen in VT since the 70's.

> "The most amazing thing I saw was a very large bird sitting high in a tree
watching me watch it.  I did not want to stop watching it to look in my
field guide to see if I could tell what it was, because I was afraid that it
would fly off if I moved too much.  I watched it for about 10 minutes before
it took off.  It was a very dark brown, like the color of coffee beans, its
beak was yellow near the head and dark at the tip.  When it flew away I
could see white under the wings.  The wingspan was about 5 or 6 feet across.
It may have been a Rough-legged hawk, Buteo lagopus, or a Golden Eagle,
Aquila chrysaetos(Peterson, 1980 p 157, 158) .  If it was a Golden eagle it
was an immature one because it had white on the underside of the wings.
What ever it was I was very impressed by its size and beauty.  When the
large bird flew away it had an American Goldfinch, Carduelis tristis
(Peterson, 1980 p 272) chasing it until it was across the lake.  The
goldfinch would get so close to!
>  the large bird I could not see the little bird.  It was mobbing it with a
lot of attitude for a little bird."

> Jeanmarie Cross
>
> Hinesburg VT
>
>  Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:I hesitate to post this, but it
sounds reasonably convincing. Anne August of