It was a group of 6 boy scouts + 2 adults + me.  We did 15 miles of easy
rolling ridges on the App Trail. in the Michaux State Forest just west of
Gettysburg PA.  It was a beautiful late fall weekend except for one thing
- I had hoped to use the XC skis; the terrain would be perfect for them.
We have had prolonged sub normal temps here in MASH but not quite sub
enough.  On Tues or Wed. evening they had an ice storm and there was
massive tree damage with fallen branches that required constant detours
off the trail.  Near each fall there would be a pile of heavy corn
snow/ice. In many ways this section of the AT is prettier than the
Shenandoah National Park where I usually hike.  The trees are much
healthier and there is a nicer mix of species.  At one point we all
feasted on pears from a wild tree at the side of the trail.  The ground
was covered with them.  Cold night, good sleeping weather and we were all
in our tents and bags by 8 PM.  The hike ended at Pine Grove Furnace
general store, the halfway mark of the AT, where tradition requires that
every through hiker down a half gallon of ice cream.  The storekeeper was
closing up for the winter, last day, and he kept dropping prices as an
incentive and the boys kept going back for more junk food while we waited
on the car shuttlers.  A good weekend, but I am waiting on the snow.
Buddy Chip reports that it's getting close,
http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html