>From:         Tag Gross <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject:      Re: Jim Gets Lucky,

 An experiencd skier will ski the tops, troughs and sides as well as
bridge
 depending on conditions and line.

 Absorbtion cannot control speed. Flexing and extending or absorbing will
 help you keep your skis in contact with the snow which enables you to
turn
 which is what controls speed. <

I am pretty sure that top mogul skiers can and do control speed as part of
their absorption, the principle being that if you resist the absorption
just a bit you slow down by pushing on the uphill side of the bump.  (Of
course you must remember to extend after the crest.  Failure to extend is
the biggest fault of intermediate bump skiers.)  My age and tender
arthritic knees prevent me from even trying to ski bumps like this, but I
am a good observer and I've seen people do it.  Resist too much or get the
timing just a little bit out of sync with the bumps and you will get
thrown or bend a ski or, - - - .  At the World Cup level they never turn
very far out of the fall line, perhaps 30 deg. at most and speed is a
factor in the judging.  Faster is better if the difficulty of the line is
the same.  Still they must sometimes find it necessary to slow down just a
bit to set up for what is ahead and I believe they do it by resisting the
absorption.  I'd love to hear an answer from somebody who really knows.