I have a feeling the only thing that would have kept him on that road
would have been studs, which are not terribly practical for someone who
drives around Boston. AWD wouldn't really have helped at all, that turn is
on the descent. Maybe 4-low, but you would have had to be in that
before you started sliding. ABS brakes might have helped your cause, but
if it was as slippery as I think they may have backfired too... Sometimes
you're just screwed.

FWIW I can vouch that conditions were really bad Friday night. It had
been wet during the day and the temp dropped into the 20's that night,
accompanied by snow squalls (we had blizzard conditions in Claremont).
There was black ice all over and apparently I-89 got closed for a little
while. I nearly had to use 4wd to get up to our place at Okemo, and that
road is probably the most well maintained town road in Ludlow.

If you can see a fall-away turn situation like that coming, a good thing
to do is drive on the inside of the turn -- that way you fall into the
ditch and not off the edge. Of course, if it sneaks up on you, you're
SOL.

Jerm