> BTW does anyone know those large sand dunes on the east shore of Lake
> Michigan?  Do they get enough snow to ski?

Indiana Dunes
There is a state park and a national park

http://www.state.in.us/dnr/parklake/parks/indianadunes.html

Spent a few days comping at the state park in 98
Was a surprising place as we were not suspecting to find dunes in Indiana

They are steep enough, but can't be more then 100-150 feet high with trees and brush here and there.

I'm sure if there was snow you could ski them... but surely there must be something better in the area? no?