Sounds like he doesn't have much experience in the mountains.bv Just
curious, where was his half day of backcountry experience at?

As far as Shasta goes, that's glaciated, isn't it?  I know there's
definitely a crevase danger there.  And of course I'm bet avalanches
would play into the picture, at least at this time of the season.

Speaking of glaciers, climbers rope up to deal with the dangers of a
crevase fall.  Never having been on a mountain outside the northeast,
however, I have no first hand experience with them.  How do skiers and
riders deal with threat?  Roping up seems to be impractical, if not
impossible while descending.  I knew a guy who went to Chamonix last
year and their guide had them wear harnesses.  Any insight would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris