On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Nicholas G. Ogrizovich-III wrote:
> will you guys cut it out! my grandfather and anyone else that listened to
> old records told me the noise was what made it so vivid and real. they
> swear it isnt the same without some hissing. i didnt hear the rest of what
> he said, i was too busy listening to megadeath on the 8 track.

Hahahaha... good one. Listen, in one of my other current lives, I'm a DJ.
Not a new-school "what's vinyl" DJ! If I made enough money, I'd be buying
$100 a month in new vinyl, likely.
The pops and clicks are NOT the warmth in the vinyl for me... but nearly
EVERYTHING else is. BUT,  :)
That said, well pressed vinyl with low volume clicks do sometimes come off
as warmer to me.

As for oldy-McOlderson types making claims about the noise making it vivid
and real... appearantly they never hear the performances live... no pops
or clicks ;) I hated how some records I'd listen to had enough clicks that
I eventually just remembered them as part of the song. When I'd hear them
in another venue (radio, mp3/digital repro', etc) I would mentally put the
noise in the track... but not hear it... hahaha

Chris
 |                  WWRD - What Would Rob Do?                   |
 |    Chris Moran         a.a.#707        [log in to unmask]    |
 |DMDL Computer Lab Coordinator   Webmaster/Multimedia Developer|
 |UVM Distance Learning Network   802.656.0358     Lafayette 407|