Known psychoacoustic effect: When you add a little high-end hiss, music is perceived as brighter, with a "better" high end...  We're so easily fooled... Of course, the clicks & pops are purely nostalgic.

If you can find software that uses auto-correlation, it'll do a great job of noise reduction, without impacting most of the musical components.

-dtp-

-A long-time lurker banking on the low volume of posts and lack of students to protect me from OT flames... But hey, he started it! Regards to all. -d-

At 09:40 AM 12/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
>will you guys cut it out! my grandfather and anyone else that listened to
>old records told me the noise was what made it so vivid and real. they
>swear it isnt the same without some hissing. i didnt hear the rest of what
>he said, i was too busy listening to megadeath on the 8 track.

                                                   - Arthur C. Clarke