Harley Blake wrote on Wednesday, December 04, 2002:

> I can't leave this thread alone anymore !~)

WTH, might as well throw my 2 pence in the mix.

> -can ANYTHING w/o  a real 'nix base that is not opensource really expect
> live out into the future? - can we survive on marketing fluf and traps
built
> in to funnel users back to proprietary packages? not likely...

Perhaps.  But grass-roots technology revolutions have a long road ahead in
the battle with billions of marketing dollars (and the commensurate
profits...).

> 98 and NT would have been dead a long time ago if that industrial giant
> wasn't interested in keeping the dopey general users down on the farm
> so-to-speak; and had developed something really robust and useful.

OTOH, "dopey general users" are having to deal with "explosions" in many
technologies, in many parts of their lives - too much change too quickly.
For the general public, having to learn a new OS (or new version) every
other year (not to mention replace their hardware) is very onerous.  Natural
resistance.  Even businesses won't adopt change unless it makes sense
monetarily (or is mandated) regardless if the new technology is "better".
Look at the survival of IBM's VM/VSE.

From a general public point of view, "robust and useful" will not exist in
the computer world until complete speech recognition is available (and is
becoming ubiquitous).

> We, as a university, rightly interested in promoting - and helping in the
> development of - the best tools for the job at hand, should give attention
> the best prospects (criteria on total cost of ownership/use and
interoperability)

Have to disagree, somewhat.  Internally, this might be true.  But we, as a
teaching institution, are rightly interested in educating the students in
and with technologies that will mean the most to them once they leave this
institution.   And for most disciplines, that will mean M$ and/or Mac based
solutions for some time to come.

All IMHO, of course.
-Don

Donald Tripp, Sr Project Analyst