On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Chris Henry wrote:
> Last spring I went into the ravine without avalanche gear, trusting the
> forecast.  After what occured last Friday, I don't think I'll be doing the
> same this year.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Let's not overreact here.  If the avalanche danger is
posted as low on a mid-late spring weekend (or weekday)-you know, one of
those classic spring days at Tucks-avy gear is unneccesary.

In no way am I belittling this last week's accident, but the conditions
were entirely different.  Yes, if you are skiing or hiking in Tucks during
winter to early spring avy gear is probably a good idea, depending on
route and snowpack.

--Matt K.