John,

While it certainly is preferable to have other members of your party with
beacons, even if you are the only one it is still not foolish.  All mountain
rescue personel will have beacons, and if you are buried in an avalanche it
will certainly help them locate you.  People in other parties may also have
beacons as well.

As for the ice axe, I'm not a good enough to have ridden the steeper gullies
at tucks, but I've climbed several of them, and you do need an ice axe for
that.   I can't comment on skiing with an axe, but I've seen boarders riding
with them, but only on very steep terrain.  Otherwise most people will
attach it to their pack.  There are ski poles that have some sort of pick
built in; maybe other can comment on that.

Hope that helps.

- Chris